Meet the couple I'm staying with, Bronwyn and Nathan. I've known them for about five years, through my previous church , and, as far as I'm concerned, they're absolute superstars!
Both Nathan and Bronwyn are here in Vancouver studying toward a Masters in Christian Studies through Regent Bible College (which is on the grounds of University of British Columbia). This is Nathan's second Masters degree - yes, he's quite an academic. Despite this, Nathan is a real down to earth, wise, caring and practical guy upon whom one can depend for good conversation and strong leadership. Bronwyn, Nathan's wife, is also very academically talented and diligent in her studies. She's a gifted quilter and cook, and is extremely hospitable. They made an awesome team in their past role as congregational leaders for the previous church I attended. I'm very lucky to have two such wonderful friends.
(Yes, I know this has sounded gushy and effusive! No, I haven't been writing under the influence of alcohol!)
now on to Loonies and Toonies...
Loonies and Toonies have nothing to do with Looney Tunes, the Warner Brothers' cartoon series. Rather, Loonies and Toonies refer to the Canadian one and two dollar coins. The dollar is the 'Loonie' as one side of the golden, bronze plated coin bears an image of the Common Loon (Gavia immer [GAY-vee-ah IM-mer]). In recent times it has become a good-luck symbol associated with Canada's winning curling and hockey teams. The two dollar coin is called a Toonie, a derivative of the word two and (you guessed it!) Loonie. Therefore, Loonie King on Broadway does not refer to the mental state of the store owner (though it could do); and Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig and Elmer Fudd do not reside in Amy's Loonie Toonie Town. These are just the names of two stores that offer cheap goods in the same vein as our 2 Dollar Shop and Coin Save.
Monday
On Sunday I had bought a SIM card, having decided that I didn't want to inconvenience Bronwyn and Nathan by carrying their cellphone on me. I was careful to establish that my phone was 'unlocked' before I purchased the new card. Having done so, I returned home. As Sod's law would have it, the SIM card failed to register in my phone when I put it in that evening . I returned Monday morning, therefore, to the shop from which I had purchased said card. The sales assistant was most helpful, spending over 20 minutes on the telephone to Rogers Wireless (most of it spent being shuffled between departments and listening to piped music), calling on behalf of a customer "Mr Samuel Mick-Gurr-Ay". It turns out that my account, which had never been activated, had been terminated. I congratulated the sales assistant (who thought RWs customer service was sucky) on having a telco provider worse than Telecom NZ! Never mind, I now have a working mobile number --- +1778 9874 733
On Monday afternoon I walked myself to Jericho Beach and Spanish Banks. On the way I had a look at the surrounding houses. I am based in a reasonably prosperous area of Vancouver, and there are certainly some amazing houses as you head toward the beach. On the beachfront, on Grey Point Road, is the Jericho Tennis Club. Photos to come.
Jericho Beach/Spanish banks is a park area on the waterfront. Lots of people cycle and walk their dogs there. Vancouver is a big dog city. There are lots and lots of dogs. Stopping people to pet their dogs is a good way to 'meet' people and hear their views of New Zealand. It's amazing how many people have friends or relatives living in New Zealand. It's also amazing how many people think I'm nuts for coming over in their winter......
No comments:
Post a Comment