Greetings from the basement of **** W 10 Avenue, Vancouver.
I've been in Canada a little more than 6 hours now. Though the flight was pleasant enough, I was glad to get off the plane! Twelve hours spent flying over the Pacific Ocean gives you an appreciation of how vast a body of water it is.
Here's some observations from my journey over.
In New Zealand, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a complementary tumbler of wine on our domestic flight to Auckland. This must have been a holiday promotion as one usually gets a mineral water, tea or coffee on these flights. Our international flight to Vancouver (on Air NZ's new Boeing 777) left late from Auckland, around nine o'clock instead of scheduled 8.30pm.
Dinner was served around 10.oopm (I had the lamb and tomato casserole served with [some fancy-named] potatoes, carrots and peas). To kill time before dinner I started to watch High School Musical 2, one of the numerous movies available on the new in-flight entertainment system. Very disappointing movie, so I stopped halfway through. I guess the quality of enjoyment wasn't enhanced by the fact that one of the ears of my headset wasn't working owing to a dodgy connection in the actual jack on the armrest.
Sleep: got a little, but this was broken by the turbulence that always seemed to happen just as I was nodding off.
Breakfast of hotcakes, yogurt and a fruit-bowl very enjoyable, as the were the episodes of the Simpsons and the Catherine Tate Show; nevertheless, I was stoked when we finally landed in a gray and wet Vancouver.
Breakfast of hotcakes, yogurt and a fruit-bowl very enjoyable, as the were the episodes of the Simpsons and the Catherine Tate Show; nevertheless, I was stoked when we finally landed in a gray and wet Vancouver.
Vancouver has the most fantastic airport. It's large, modern and very user friendly. The walk through the international arrivals terminal is quite lengthy, but there are moving walkways - these are awesome! The inside is spacious with large, colourful, digital displays providing all the vital information in English, French and Japanese; and the airport houses various water features, sculptures, cafes and shops.
I was met by my friend Bronwyn, who I shall introduce in a later post, and her friend Claire. Nathan, Bronwyn's husband, was busy with his Greek exam so he couldn't meet me at the airport.
As it was mid-afternoon, I bought coffee while we were waiting for Claire (our chauffeur) to get her car and pick us up. My first takeaway coffee and donut were reasonable, but I'm slightly distressed that flat whites are not a feature of the Vancouver coffee scene ...................
Anyhow, not much else to report as of yet. I'll keep you posted!
I was met by my friend Bronwyn, who I shall introduce in a later post, and her friend Claire. Nathan, Bronwyn's husband, was busy with his Greek exam so he couldn't meet me at the airport.
As it was mid-afternoon, I bought coffee while we were waiting for Claire (our chauffeur) to get her car and pick us up. My first takeaway coffee and donut were reasonable, but I'm slightly distressed that flat whites are not a feature of the Vancouver coffee scene ...................
Anyhow, not much else to report as of yet. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:
Post a Comment